Au Pair Tax Information  Au Pair Tax Information  Au Pair Tax Information  Au Pair Tax Information Apply **APPLY FOR FREE**
SAVE $350 until September 12th, 2022!
Use Promo Code: SCHOOL

Au Pair Tax Information

While EurAupair is not able to provide specific tax information for au pairs and host families, we are pleased to outline some general guidelines regarding host family and au pair taxes.   As always, it is best to consult a tax professional.

Additional information on au pair taxes can be found by visiting the IRS website at or  or you can call 1-800-829-1040.

(Updated February, 2022)

EurAupair's Federal Tax ID Number: 33-0316910

Do Au Pairs Pay Taxes

The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) considers au pairs to be employees of the host family for tax reasons, even though they are in the United States on a “cultural exchange” visa. This means that au pairs are required to file U.S. individual income tax returns. The amount you owe depends largely on when you arrived in the US. If you arrived early in the calendar year (January-March), your first year taxes will be higher.

In order to file income taxes in the United States, all au pairs need to have either a Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (“ITIN”). By April 18, 2022, au pairs should file form 1040-NR to report their au pair stipend for the previous calendar year.

Tax Form

    Read the  Instructions for Form 1040-NR and refer to the  2021 Tax Tables to determine what you may owe in federal taxes.

    Au pairs are explicitly not eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, The Hope Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credits.

    We have included a link to the form 1040-NR from tax year 2021. Please remember that any specific tax questions or issues should be addressed to a tax preparation professional.

    Form 1040-NR:

    To summarize:

    1. Have your Social Security Number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
    2. Calculate how much you have earned during the previous calendar year. Multiply the number of weeks you worked as an au pair in the USA in 2021 with the amount of your weekly stipend. 
    3. Fill out and file a 1040-NR
    4. Send payment to IRS for any taxes owed.


    Host Family Taxes

    • There are three specific issues that typically concern host families with regards to taxes and the au pair program:
    • Child and Dependent Care Tax credits
    • Dependent Care Reimbursement Programs (“FSAs”)
    • Withholding requirements for au pair taxes

    Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit

    As long as the host family has used an au pair’s child care services in order to work or look for employment, the stipend paid to the au pair, the costs of room and board and the fees paid to EurAupair are all eligible under the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit.

    As tax and eligibility laws are continually changing, we recommend that host families contact a tax professional to confirm expense eligibility for the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit. Please note that EurAupair’s federal tax ID number may only be used to claim the tax credit for fees paid to EurAupair – it may not be used to claim a credit for stipend paid to an au pair or for the cost of room and board.

    Dependent Care Reimbursement Programs

    The eligibility requirements for these programs (often called “Flex-Spending Accounts” or “FSAs”) are usually identical to those for the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit. Please note that expenses paid for using Dependent Care Reimbursement Program funds are not also eligible for the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit. 

    EurAupair is happy to provide host families with a summary statement of program and other payments received during a tax year. We will provide letters that list either the total amount paid in a given calendar year, or the amount paid in a given calendar year with the dates of the applicable full au pair term of service. Click here to submit a request.

    Withholding for Au Pair Taxes

    Because au pair wages are deemed by the IRS to be paid for domestic service in a private home, they are not subject to mandatory income tax withholding on Forms 941 and W-2 by the host family.

    Host families usually do not need to pay federal unemployment taxes for their au pair or withhold Social Security and Medicare taxes. In the rare case that an au pair has previously been in the United States on a F, J, M or Q non-immigrant visa before becoming an au pair, then they might be considered a “resident alien” during their current stay in the United States. If this is the case, the host family should consult with their tax advisor to determine whether they need to make these withholdings and payments for their au pair.

    Please note that EurAupair is not licensed to provide official tax advice, so our staff is unable to answer specific questions regarding individual host family or au pair tax issues beyond the scope of topics covered in this document. Since tax laws vary from state to state and are changed on a frequent basis, we advise host families and au pairs to speak with a local professional tax advisor or directly with the IRS for definitive answers to any specific questions regarding taxation.

    EurAupair's Federal Tax ID Number: 33-0316910


Full Version